Kenya Introduces E-visa
The process to obtain a visa to Kenya has changed on July 2, 2015 with an electronic/web-based system.
Visitors will still be able to obtain visas upon airport arrival until August 31, 2015, however all arrivals from September 1, 2015 must apply and pay for visas online to enter Kenya, without visa travellers will be denied boarding for their flight to Kenya.
The following steps are required to obtain a visa:
1. Visit the electronic visa page at www.ecitizen.go.ke.
2. Select Register as a Visitor (as part of this process, you will receive a confirmation email that you need to click on to verify and confirm your registration)
3. t this point, you will be asked to supply a digital passport photo for upload (Maximum size 500 px by 500 px)
4. Once logged in, select Department of Immigration Services
5. Select Submit Application
6. Select Kenyan Visa
7. Select the type of visa visitor – single entry – and read the instructions carefully
8. Complete the application form – please note that incomplete applications will be rejected and you will lose your processing fees
– You will need a scan of the main page of your passport with your name, date of birth and other information
-You will need the name, address and phone number of your first night’s accommodation in Kenya.
-You will need to re-upload your passport photo
-Pay using your Visa card, MasterCard or other debit card
9. Await your approval which will be sent to you by email. This could take up to 7 days so give yourself plenty of time.
10. Once you have received the email advising that your visa is approved, log back into your ecitizen account and download your visa.
11. Print a copy of your visa to present to the immigration officer at your point of entry into Kenya
Upload the following in advance;
- Scanned copy of the Bio-data page of your passport
- Passport photo ; see below requirements (maximum dimensions 500px by 500px)
- Copy of onward Ticket to apply for a Transit Visa only
- Scanned copy of booking confirmation invoice showing arrival and departure dates (Tour Itinerary).
You will also require in advance;
- The name and address of a hotel/lodge you will be staying at while in Kenya.
- Credit or Debit Card for payment.
Passport Photo requirements, during Registration
- The photograph must be in colour.
- It should have a white background.
- It should have a close up of your head and top of your shoulders so that your face takes up 70-80% of the photograph.
- It should be in sharp focus and clean.
- It should be of high quality with no ink marks and creases.
- The photograph must show you looking directly at the camera.
- It should be 5.5cm * 5.5cm (207px * 207px).
- It should show your skin tone naturally.
- It should have appropriate brightness and contrast.
- The photograph should be a recent one not more than 6 months old.
- It is to be taken without headgear.
- Photograph can be taken with headgear, after consideration on case to case basis if the applicant wears headgear on religious grounds. The main characteristics of the face must be apparent from the photograph. Chin, nose, eyes and eyebrows must not be covered, the forehead should be uncovered to the extent that the shape of the face is apparent.
- It should be without hat/cap.
- It should be with the applicant’s hair tucked behind his/her ears.
- The photograph should not have any staple marks.
Entry Requirements (On Arrival)
- Passport Valid for at least Six Months
- eVisa Printout from www.eCitizen.go.ke
- Travel itinerary
- Supporting letter e.g. letter from company or Invitation letter for business visits/family visits. or
- Hotel bookings/details about places to visit if going as tourist.